Sunday, February 27, 2011

Day 14 - Attempt to make healthy cookies - FAIL

As the title suggests, I finally got everything together in my attempt to make some healthy cookies.  I used a recipe from the BED book but had to change it as the recipe doesn't strictly adhere to the diet.  It uses rice baking mix and along with not knowing what that is or where to find it, I also can't use it because rice is verboten.  So I substituted with quinoa flour.  Bleck!  I also used the suggested stevia powder instead of the liquid drops I like so much better, and will definitely try the drops next time.  The saving grace in these cookies is the ghee (which Jason went out and got for me today once I described the severity of my cookie craving) and the almond butter.  They're called Norma's Almond Butter Cookies and the recipe was pretty simple.  They crumble and fall apart instantly so if anyone has any suggestions as to how I can prevent that from happening next time, please tell me.  Otherwise, they need to be sweeter as they taste way too much like quinoa and not enough like almonds.  Very, very filling though.  I forced down two of them because that's just how badly I need cookies right now.  And now I'm rather uncomfortably full, which reminds me that I'm still not very good at the concept of eating until I'm 80% full, leaving 20% for digestion.

Otherwise I was pretty good today.  I had a new take on the quinoa instant cereal which I liked much better than my previous attempts.  I used another recipe from BED, but this time from her website, and added my soy lecithin 'milk' and a very small amount of black currant concentrate.  For snack I had my usual apple & almond butter and then was desperately hungry by the time I got home from work and snarfed down some leftovers and a small serving of the smoked salmon we got at Costco yesterday.  Yum!

For dinner Jason made sauteed broccolini and green beans, mashed sweet potatoes with coconut oil and nutmeg, and bought an organic rotisserie chicken from Fred Meyers.

I should mention that I was at a Bridal Event today at Crate & Barrel representing my health club as a trainer.  And I don't know why I didn't anticipate this but there was cake everywhere!  Little delectable pieces in all flavors and everywhere I turned people were offering them to me.  Not to mention the free shots of espresso, the gourmet finger foods, wine and champagne!  And I said no to all of it.  Wowsers!  I had my apple and almond butter while hiding in a corner of the store, but man was that tough.  It wasn't hard to say no, it was just hard having it around and knowing how amazing it would taste.  Giving myself a huge pat on the back for getting through that gauntlet.

1 comment:

  1. As a follow up on my own post, I got the test results back on the Alcat blood test I did two weeks ago and apparently I'm highly sensitive to quinoa and should not eat it. I think the flour caused me to react much more strongly than the actual quinoa grains usually do but I will no longer be eating quinoa. I'll write more about my test results in my next blog.

    ReplyDelete